- The integrated approach to link household energy with other development objectives - Some organisational experiences from the ProBEC demonstration project in the Hurungwe District of Zimbabwe
- Authors (non HEDON members)
- Paul Mushamba
- ProBEC is a regional programme aimed at improving the quality of life for poor rural and urban people by enabling them to meet their energy needs in a socially and environmentally sustainable manner. It aims to do this by improving the links between governments and development organisations in implementing integrated biomass energy conservation (BEC) programmes.
ProBEC is a joint programme between SADC, the European Commission (EC) and the German Government. The first phase (1998-2001) ProBEC activities are restricted to six SADC countries: Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa and Zimbabwe (see BP43 page 20).
One of the major outputs of ProBEC is the implementation of BEC demonstration projects, which are intended to show the impacts that can be achieved when BEC measures are integrated into ongoing rural development activities. The idea is to start with a limited geographical region where measurable impacts can be made within a short space of time. In the even of a successful demonstration project, replication to other regions of the country is envisaged. In Zimbabwe, preparations for implementing the BEC demonstration project in Hurungwe district are at an advanced stage. This article describes the logical steps, and a few experiences gained with the integrated approach in Zimbabwe.
- Journal Section
- General Article
Skip this section (the following 4 fields are to be filled by Boiling Point moderators only)
- Icon picture
- Title in French
- Energie domestique et autres objectives de développement: une approche intégrée
- Abstract in French
- Cette étude de cas, a travers un projet pilote, montre comment des impacts peuvent être atteints quand des mesures de conservation de la biomasse sont intégrées dans des activités de développement rural. L'article décrit les étapes logiques à mettre en oeuvre, tire les leçons des expériences acquises ainsi que les moyens pour renforcer la coopération entre les principales parties prenantes.
Assign categories (end of moderators only section)
Article body in English
- Page name EN
- A practitioner's journal on household energy, stoves and poverty reduction.
No records to display