- Indian Government's Stove Programme in Question
- Authors (non HEDON members)
- Down to Earth
- Reproduced from an article entitled 'Cool Reception to Ambtious Programme' published in Down to Earth, January 1994.
Although the Indian Government boasts its improved chulha project has exceeded targets, officials admit the programme has been a failure because of lack of use' acceptance. In Durgapur village in Haryana, about 200 improved chulhas were installed between 1986 and 1987. Within a few months, almost all oi them were dismantled by the women. Asks Chameli, one of the beneficiaries, 'Who has the patience or the time to chop the wood into small pieces to suit the new chulhas? First we did away with the dampers and then we did away with the new chulhas altogether and went back to our old chulhas'.
- Journal Section
- Theme Articles
Skip this section (the following 4 fields are to be filled by Boiling Point moderators only)
Assign categories (end of moderators only section)
- 010 Stoves
- Location: continent
- Location: asian countries
Article body in English
- Page name EN
- A practitioner's journal on household energy, stoves and poverty reduction.
No records to display